Thursday, April 9, 2009

Leaving Lome

Just a quick note as I head out of Lome this morning.  Yesterday, I sucessfully bought dog food for Asher as well as birthday treats for Nathan including hot sauce and Oreos!  It was amazing to see yesterday all of the things you can buy in Lome...If I was an ex-pat here (ie making LOTS of money) I could truly live a quasi-American life.  I went to three different grocery stores yesterday and saw Special K cereal, Uncle Ben's Rice, Ritz crackers, and Nestle chocolate chips.  Crazy!  While I was looking at everything, and realizing we don't have money to buy American food three times the price as it is sold for in the US, I was kind of glad to have chosen a simpler life here.  Special K is just not part of my Togolese life...hello, milk?!!  Where am I getting that?!  Not to mention no refridgerator.  And I am happy about that.  Life for the moment seems better simplier.  I don't need so much choice and temptation!  So I am back to village to enjoy beans and rice...and solitude and stars.  I'm looking forward to it!
 
But before I let myself off that easily, I should confess to an amazing dinner last night.  I went out for the bachelorette party which was lots of fun.  Twelve girls went and we had a nice time talking and relaxing.  We went to a restaurant owned by a very nice French couple who have a home set in a beautiful garden setting.  They also happen to have a restaurant that is pricey for me, but had wonderful food.  I had a glass of red wine and the most amazing pizza.  It was on thin, crunchy crust cooked in a wood stove...and had tons of cheese and hunks of fresh pineapple.  It was SO GOOD!  I don't know if it is because I've been out of the States for awhile or if it really was that good...but it was a perfect way to start my birthday!
 
So I am signing off...Hope everyone has a good rest of the week.  Thanks again for all the emails and bday wishes!  And Happy Easter! XO
 
 

1 comment:

Candice Pethel said...

Happy 28th birthday Ann!!!! I am so glad to finally see pics of you and you look great by the way. I am glad that you and Nathan are doing so well. I like his hair better too! I hope you have a great birthday week and Happy Easter!!!

Love you,
Candice