Ok, folks, I know the following recipe is not healthy - who knows how many preservatives, additives, and salts there are! But we have little to work with - trust me - and I have spent countless hours trying to think of possible dinners. However my repertoire is growing. And this one is quite tasty and a comfort after a long day. So here comes one of our new "old standbys." If you visit, I'll make it for you!
Mexican Couscous with Chicken
(I am taking liberties with title, as you will soon see!)
1 cup water
1 cup dry couscous
1 small can of tomato paste
1 small can of condensed milk
1 can of chicken hot dogs, water drained
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 packet of Taco seasoning
1 large onion
2 habanero peppers
2 cloves of garlic
2 medium tomatoes, soaked first in bleach
Mrs. Dash "extra spicy" seasoning
1 wheel of VQR (non-refrigerated Laughing Cow cheese)
1. Boil the water in a pot and add the tomato paste and half a packet of Taco seasoning. Bring back to a boil and add the couscous. Stir. Turn off the heat and cover.
2. Dice the onion, garlic, and peppers and place half in a saute pan. Add half the oil and saute until tender.
3. Chop the hot dogs and add to the pan. Saute.
4. Add Mrs. Dash to taste to the hot dog mixture and turn the burner down to low.
5. Uncover the couscous and fluff with a fork. Add to the hot dog mixture and stir. Cover and keep on low heat.
6. Add the remaining onions, garlic, and peppers along with the other half of oil to the now-empty couscous pan. Saute until tender.
7. Add the VQR and stir until melted.
8. Add the milk slowly, stirring constantly.
9. Add the other half of the taco seasoning. Mix well and let thicken for 5 minutes over low heat.
10. Pour cheese sauce over couscous and hot dogs.
11. Top with diced tomatoes and enjoy!